PDA

View Full Version : JP's 1.9 DTurbo Lucas Pump Tuning Guide

jammapic
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi,

There are many guides online about how to tune the 1.9 Dturbo engines found in various PSA group cars, such as Peugeot 306's, 405's and Citroen Xantia's, Xsara's etc.

Anyway, most of the guides you come across will say that the Bosch pump is far superior, and that lots of smoke and little power will be found with the Lucas pump setup.

While, to a certain extent, this is true - pretty much all of the guides I have found online tell you to tune the Lucas Pump in such a way that quite a lot of off-boost smoke is experienced, which has led to the old DTurbo motto "NO SMOKE, NO POKE."

Some of the information you will find in this article will be different to what you see elsewhere on the internet; and all I can say is that after many hours of playing around with the Lucas Pump, I have found that the "common" way of tuning the pump seems to produce a lot of smoke; and yield mediocre power gains... my way seems to give much stronger performance results, without all the off-boost smoke.

As with all guides found online, although there are many people running various states of tune on the 1.9 DTurbo engines, I cannot be held responsible if you blow your engine up from doing this.

OK - so on with the guide:

You should really run a turbo boost gauge when making these changes, as on a diesel most fuelling related changes will also affect the turbo boost produced (more fuel will give more boost!)

So the first job is to pop the bonnet up and locate your Lucas fuel pump, it's circled in red:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/findpump.jpg

Once you've located your pump, you should see it looks like this:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/1.jpg

There are two main bits here that we are wanting to adjust, the maximum fuel screw and the boost compensator.

Firstly, let's adjust the boost compensator.

Most guides online will tell you to increase the boost compensator fuelling. Most guides also tell you that this will increase the amount of fuel delivered whilst on boost. This is incorrect.

As my understanding goes, the boost compensator is more of an "off-boost compensator" and as such, turning it up actually delivers more fuel when running off-boost... i.e, smoke.

What I have done, is actually reduce this setting from standard - don't worry, we will claw back that extra fuel elsewhere on the pump, but we want to keep off-boost smoke to a minimum.

If you've not previously modded your pump, you will find a white anti-tamper plastic lug ontop of the boost compensator adjusted, you'll need to snap this off, and you will be left with the following:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/boostcomp.jpg

Slacken off the surrounding lock-nut, using a 14mm spanner, and wind the boost compensator screw IN (clockwise) all the way. Then wind OUT (anti-clockwise) by about 2 turns. This gives you a setting of around 2 turns less than stock.

So now we've REDUCED the power of our vehicle, what we need to do is deliver some more fuel...

As we are going to spill the diesel out of the pump, cover up the altenator with a plastic bag, and put some kind of container under the black plastic bung on the side of the fuel pump, like so:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/2.jpg

Then, gently, using a screwdriver and a hammer, UNSCREW this plastic bung by tapping it round ANTI-CLOCKWISE.. I found it easiest to make a slight indent in the side with the screwdriver, then once I had something to get some purchase on, tap with the hammer to undo. DO NOT TRY TO PRISE IT OFF, IT HAS A THREAD AND WILL UNSCREW.

The bung will unscrew from the pump, and eventually come out, draining all the diesel from inside it, which hopefully you'll catch in your plastic pot.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/4.jpg

Once you've got the bung out, you should see the following - a mirror is a useful bit of kit to see inside!!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/5.jpg

You'll see a cam inside, this turns inside the pump. What we are looking for is an adjusted screw which will come into view when it's turned.

I found it too difficult to turn this high-compression engine by hand, so I put the car in gear and rocked it forward and backward until the screw showed its head:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/6.jpg

You should find a 4mm allen key fits in nicely, but DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER STYLE ALLEN KEY as the bit could get stuck inside. Use a proper allen key. (You'll probably need some kind of lever on the end to turn it, as it's v. tight!)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/jammapic/Lucas%20Pump%20Tuning/7.jpg

This is again where my guide differs to others online, as they will say increase by turning it around 20 - 40 degrees CLOCKWISE.

Because we have REDUCED the off-boost fuelling, we can go a bit further with the maximum fuel delivery screw, thus filling out that bottom end, and giving plenty more fuel once up onto boost.

I found I needed to adjust the screw round CLOCKWISE, about 90 degrees to see smoke at full throttle. I would suggest starting at about 60 degrees of turn clockwise, and adjust again if needed.

Once you've adjusted this, screw the bung back into the side of the pump nice and tightly, then re-prime the pump using the fuel primer (or so called Grenade, because it looks like one!) at the top left of the engine.

Take the car out for a spin, using all the revs.

If you do still see smoke off boost, then wind the boost compensator in a bit more (decreasing the bottom end fuel even further).

If you don't see ANY smoke at full throttle in the mid-range, you can probably dial in a bit more on the maximum fuel screw - just don't get greedy or you'll look like a freight train!!

You should be seeing around 17psi on your boost gauge now, assuming you are - you're done! Small adjustments can be made to find the limit before you start seeing smoke output.

If you are seeing less than 17psi boost - then some actuator adjustment on the turbocharger is probably necessary, see the following link for turbo adjustment:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6899 (http://www.tdocuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6899)

That should see a decent hike in power, and little to no smoke.

If you want to go any further..... change the Lucas for a Bosch Pump!! :-)

JP

barrym
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice write up! Almost makes me wish I had a DTurbo to play with too.

tdcist
09-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Same here barry lol!! Even tho i've taken nothing but grief and stick and mickey taking from my work collegues about the possibilities of me getting a Diesel Track Car!!

If i do, I'll show them!!!!!!

jammapic
09-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Does it make sense though? I've taken away at the bottom end to a point where it's far to lean, and then given back fuel all over, up until the point the bottom end is no longer lean?

It's basically because there's no real "on-boost" adjustment on a Lucas pump, so we have to be creative... take away at the bottom end, and give back all over = on-boost fuelling sorted :-P

JP

barrym
09-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Makes sense to me mate

jammapic
10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Here's a video of the tune:

[youtubehd:1xdgzku0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0ym4dEPas[/youtubehd:1xdgzku0]

205STDT
16-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Very nice guide mate, good info for all the pugs running the lucas pump which I expect is most of the 306's out there...
Just had a fiddle with my boost compensator on the bosch, something iv been meaning to do for a while, wish I had done so before Germany as its so much quicker and I havnt even adjusted the max fuelling!

Think there is still a lot to be learnt about tuning these pumps, good to see some nice power from the lucas =D>

craigyt
18-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I did this with the lucas aswel, i found it comes on boost a lot stronger, and i also turned to boost to 22psi with a bit more fuel and goes extremely well.

Good work though =D>

jammapic
30-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi,

So I found myself in a situation a few days ago, where I turned up the max fuel some more and I started smoking low down, off boost... "Great" I thought, I can just turn DOWN the boost compensator some more, and have done with it.

Well I found that I'd actually turned it in as far as I could go with it. So I went back to the drawing board and figured out that this spring presses on the internal diaphragm, and the more you turn the compensator IN, the more it presses on the diaphragm.

So I thought the easiest thing was to put in a stiffer spring, and thus increase the load on the diaphragm.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I wound the boost compensator right out, until the end came off and the spring dropped out (luckily I caught it!!!)

Made a trip down to my local B&Q to source a new spring which is about 5mm longer than the last one. Popped this in, and I can now achieve the same setting as before, but with 5mm less "wind in" on the boost compensator.

The final thing I did was turn in the compensator another couple of turns, and voila, smoke gone from a stronger tune than before!

Easy! ;-)

JP

max_tait306
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
used this guide to tune my pug, worked very well, big increase in power.
only thing is that i cant get the psi past 15, it was 12-13psi before the tune, i srewed the waste gate in about 2 turns (kkk turbo), boost comp- i fully closed it then opened 2 turns like you said and the max fueling is about 90degrees clockwise.
any ideas so that i can get more boost? more fueling maybe?
cheers

jammapic
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
If it's not smoking when it's on boost, then there's certainly more fuelling to be had.

I'll be honest, I wound my actuator on my KKK K03 turbo all the way across pretty much, as without fuel it will never make boost... you can pretty much control the boost with the fuel screw :-)

JP

max_tait306
04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
ok i'll screw it in abit mre then and get some more max fuel and see how it goes.
mustov wasted a good few litres of derv doing the max fuel haha.
some guides mention tilting the pump backwards/forwards anyone tried this?

jammapic
04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
It's for changing the static advancement of the pump...

... just remember thought that as you increase the max fuel, on the lucas pump you also increase the advance anyway.........

max_tait306
04-07-2010, 08:03 PM
so how much do you reck on i should increase the fuel by then?
what sortof power would it be running if it was about 18psi? thats the max i'll go as i dont want anything to go pop

jammapic
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
go until you get smoke at 18psi at full load throughout the revs, then back it off a bit until the smoke clears... you'll be at the max for that boost then.

max_tait306
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
got it running at 18psi
hd to wind in the old kkk all the way
dont know if this is normal but at 2900rpm its 16psi then at 3900rpm it goes to 18psi

jammapic
11-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd be tempted to go further with the max fuel then.

Are you getting any smoke off boost? If not - wind out the off boost compensator half a turn.

JP

max_tait306
11-07-2010, 09:30 PM
very little abit less than your video of yours i might give that a try after the mot tomorow
want to get a rolling road to test the power soon.
but either way its an exellent guide and the power increase is exellent :)

i'd recomend this guide to anyone with a lucas setup

jammapic
11-07-2010, 09:34 PM
i'd recomend this guide to anyone with a lucas setup

Glad you are pleased - makes the time I spent worthwhile then! :-)

Pass on the word!

JP

max_tait306
12-07-2010, 07:36 AM
i am. i always hear stories about smokey lucas's but there's f**kall with this tune, in fact its actually less smokey than my mates standard hdi (when our back box's where off)

yeah i'll try and pass the work. i have a couple of times on PUG306.NET when people are talking about tuning a lucas.

cheers.

jamjar1383
24-07-2010, 08:25 PM
jp i would like to ask if it is ok with you to repost this guide on south wales french car owners club and citroen xsara owners club please???

i will credit the guide as yours and nothing but a repost on my part.

JamieS
24-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Had a play with my pump today..

now bearing in mind my turbo was running 19psi on full chat anyways I screwed the off boost fuel as suggested and gave the max what I though was near 90 degrees and although the car is not noticeably faster at top end it can goto a higher max speed than before.. what I did experience was it bogging down completely before boost came in and boost was going to 20 and then at high revs up to 22 or 23 psi

So I wound out the off boost fuel some which has stopped it from bogging down but im not getting any smoke and its quite the way out now possibly even more than stock.

Gonna dial in some more max fuel tomorrow and see if it cures it :)

jammapic
24-07-2010, 09:18 PM
If you think it's useful - then of course.

Please do credit TDOCUK and link back to us though.

JP

jammapic
24-07-2010, 09:20 PM

now bearing in mind my turbo was running 19psi on full chat anyways I screwed the off boost fuel as suggested and gave the max what I though was near 90 degrees and although the car is not noticeably faster at top end it can goto a higher max speed than before.. what I did experience was it bogging down completely before boost came in and boost was going to 20 and then at high revs up to 22 or 23 psi

So I wound out the off boost fuel some which has stopped it from bogging down but im not getting any smoke and its quite the way out now possibly even more than stock.

I put a stiffer spring in so I could give even more adjustment to the off-boost compensator.

Also, I found that I could run the max fuel at it's maximum setting with very little smoke.

JP

jamjar1383
24-07-2010, 09:27 PM
If you think it's useful - then of course.

Please do credit TDOCUK and link back to us though.

JP
ok dude thanks and i will post a link to the site here.

JamieS
24-07-2010, 09:31 PM

I put a stiffer spring in so I could give even more adjustment to the off-boost compensator.

Also, I found that I could run the max fuel at it's maximum setting with very little smoke.

JP

So I should just wind away and see what happens? :P Will it keep screwing untill it comes to a complete stop and not jam up against anything on the other side of the cam?

Oh and btw my sticker arrived today ;) Will get that applied tomorrow :-D

jammapic
25-07-2010, 08:30 AM
I would wind it until you hit the stop... Though every engine is different, I had very little smoke - but I did have to really go to town on the off boost compensator to ease that off boost smoke.

You won't blow the engine on that Lucas, just keep an eye on the boost and for K03 turbo don't go above 20 psi, but with the T2 or K14 you can go to say 23 psi safely.

JP

JamieS
25-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Turbo is a T2 :D

Might have to find a stiffer spring for the off boost fuel me thinks

Going to have a play now

JamieS
25-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Well thats faster :P Quite abit smokier to but not too bad

Main problem ive got now is my clutch craps itself on peak torque in every gear so new one of those needed I think :lol:

jammapic
25-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Well thats faster :P Quite abit smokier to but not too bad

do you get smoke on boost - or is it only when it's off boost?

Main problem ive got now is my clutch craps itself on peak torque in every gear so new one of those needed I think :lol:

I never had that problem - made 200lb/ft and never slipped once! Is it really old?

JP

JamieS
25-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Just off boost but it needs minor adjustment.. fedup of getting covered in diesel today so ill have another look at it another day. Ive still got some to go with the off boost screw but in honesty its already proved itself useful when someone was tailgating me :P

Cars done 127k miles and im guessing its proberbly the original clutch lol.. gonna go for a propper valeo one and that should be fine and give me a nice crisp takeup of power on gearchanges.

Had alittle play with another 306 of unknown spec earlier and I would have dissapeared from him if my clutch didnt slip.. just gonna go easy on it from now on

jamjar1383
31-07-2010, 09:08 PM
jp im having an issue with ur tuning guide, i wound the boost compensator all the way in and turned the max fuel about 90 degrees, and it started to die out when on boost, so wound the boost compensator back out 2 turns and now im seeing a bit of smoke at higher revs (3k+), i haven't upped the turbo yet im going to do it tomorrow and im hoping that will sort it.

JamieS
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Deffinately need to get some more boost in there.. have you got a boost gauge?

jamjar1383
03-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Deffinately need to get some more boost in there.. have you got a boost gauge?
yeah, its only showing 12 psi max, i turned the turbo up 3 full turns and still no improvement

JamieS
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Hmm thats not right.. have you checked for boost leaks? Any rushing air noise when on the beans?

jamjar1383
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Hmm thats not right.. have you checked for boost leaks? Any rushing air noise when on the beans?
i dont think there's a boost leak
but i can hear the turbo spooling up

the bloody thing is doing my head in lol

JamieS
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Id check all the hoses and make sure they are tight and not split.. main points to go are the inlet and outlet of the intercooler.. can tighten the jubilee clip on the inlet side but the d seal on the other side may need replacing

Other than that check the pipes on the turbo itself.. its a pain to get to unfortunately

jamjar1383
03-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Id check all the hoses and make sure they are tight and not split.. main points to go are the inlet and outlet of the intercooler.. can tighten the jubilee clip on the inlet side but the d seal on the other side may need replacing

Other than that check the pipes on the turbo itself.. its a pain to get to unfortunately

already changed the seal and tightened the jubilee clip on the intercooler, i will cheak the other pipes, i have had the boost up higher than 12psi but thats wiv the boost compensator wound out 6 turns.

but then it smokes like this
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn460/jamjar1383/P1000564.jpg

JamieS
03-08-2010, 05:10 PM
When you say you turned up the turbo 3 turns do you mean the actuator arm?

jamjar1383
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
When you say you turned up the turbo 3 turns do you mean the actuator arm?
yep i got the kkk turbo so its screws in

JamieS
03-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Hmm not sure whats up there then but you should be seeing much more boost than you are :?

dannyprigg
19-08-2010, 08:38 PM
hello just looking at this post. im trying to get some information about my 306 d turbo 1999. i basically brought it quite cheap and on the way home realised that on boost it smokes quite bad. i have a lucas pump and can see that the black bung has been tamperd with. im not to botherd about tuning the car i just wonderd what the standard settings were so maybe i could start from fresh and have less smoke and try and tune it up with less smoke later on. thanks danny

jamjar1383
19-08-2010, 08:45 PM
hello just looking at this post. im trying to get some information about my 306 d turbo 1999. i basically brought it quite cheap and on the way home realised that on boost it smokes quite bad. i have a lucas pump and can see that the black bung has been tamperd with. im not to botherd about tuning the car i just wonderd what the standard settings were so maybe i could start from fresh and have less smoke and try and tune it up with less smoke later on. thanks danny

all u gotta do mate is wind in the boost compensator that'll sort it, eather that or leave it mine smokes like hell lol

rich.h44
20-08-2010, 10:05 PM
so would i be corret in thinking that winding the boost compensator in would increase fuel econamy?
the onlly reasen i ask is i do alot of town driving and dont get to boost much! but i want more boost and power for when i can!

jamjar1383
20-08-2010, 10:35 PM
so would i be corret in thinking that winding the boost compensator in would increase fuel econamy?
the onlly reasen i ask is i do alot of town driving and dont get to boost much! but i want more boost and power for when i can!
just wind it in till it stops smoking on boost

jammapic
21-08-2010, 10:23 AM
The boost compensator on a Lucas pump doesn't change the on boost fuelling... it will only change the smoke OFF boost.

JP

dannyprigg
22-08-2010, 07:17 AM
As before I said my car was smoking alot on Boost so like some one said I tried loads of different settings with the boost compensator and it made no difference so next thing I tried was to turn the max fuel down as I have no idea what setting the person before me had changed it to. So I went back about 20 degreese and that has given me less smoke but it still i's smoking. So my question i's, does any one know a standard setting for the Max fuel so that I could start from fresh and know where abouts I am and try this tune? I'm worried about turning it down too far.. Should I be? Thanks danny

Adi2727
22-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Hello everybody!

I think that this tuning might be applicable to my td. Thanks for all the information's posted. =D>

Got the ~same tuning advice from Rica Engineering: "increase the fuel from the pump, increase the boost up to 1.1-1.3bar(19psi), remove the cat..."

Some questions for you:
1. how much this tuning will increase the fuel consumption?
2. how much is the power gain? Dyno? Up to?
3. wouldn't be better/the same a MBC to adjust the boost pressure? In order to preserve some original settings...
4. this tuning will also increase the maximum RPM? If not what can i do for a higher RPM? My engine goes further in the first, second and third gear. For example, in the second gear, i can reach 5200rpm.

Cheers!

craigyt
24-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Hello everybody!

I think that this tuning might be applicable to my td. Thanks for all the information's posted. =D>

Got the ~same tuning advice from Rica Engineering: "increase the fuel from the pump, increase the boost up to 1.1-1.3bar(19psi), remove the cat..."

Some questions for you:
1. how much this tuning will increase the fuel consumption?
2. how much is the power gain? Dyno? Up to?
3. wouldn't be better/the same a MBC to adjust the boost pressure? In order to preserve some original settings...
4. this tuning will also increase the maximum RPM? If not what can i do for a higher RPM? My engine goes further in the first, second and third gear. For example, in the second gear, i can reach 5200rpm.

Cheers!

1. Not much if you drive it steady, it will only use more when you are driving hard
2. Mine made 105 @ 19psi but my mate had more fuel going in and 22psi and that made 115
3. you can if you want, i run a MBC so its easily adjusted
4. im not sure

Adi2727
24-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the answers!
105 will be good, 115 will be much better... and 140 will be fabulous. [-o<
The car is running great with the standard settings, it only weights ~1000kg. I need some extra kw only when the car is with a full load, at ~1400kg.

Btw... about 140hp. Think I saw something on youtube, a peugeot 306, called D-turbo, for which the owner states that it has 140hp.
I wonder if it's the same injection pump (indirect injection)? Is it possible?
I'll try to search the link later.

And... question 5 :-D :
After this tuning, anyone observed abnormal wearing in the clutch?

Cheers and thanks again.

craigyt
24-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the answers!
105 will be good, 115 will be much better... and 140 will be fabulous. [-o<
The car is running great with the standard settings, it only weights ~1000kg. I need some extra kw only when the car is with a full load, at ~1400kg.

Btw... about 140hp. Think I saw something on youtube, a peugeot 306, called D-turbo, for which the owner states that it has 140hp.
I wonder if it's the same injection pump (indirect injection)? Is it possible?
I'll try to search the link later.

And... question 5 :-D :
After this tuning, anyone observed abnormal wearing in the clutch?

Cheers and thanks again.

According to the dyno at FCS mine made 154bhp with standard exhaust and small intercooler, it now has bigger cooler and full 2.5" exhaust, feels much better

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb93 ... V_0005.mp4 (http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/kezman7/FCS/?action=view¤t=MOV_0005.mp4)

Adi2727
25-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Oh... so you meant 105, 115... kw?

craigyt
25-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh... so you meant 105, 115... kw?

That was on my old Lucas pump and 19psi that it made 105bhp, and the 115bhp was a mate that was running 22psi and a bit more fuel

jammapic
25-08-2010, 09:31 AM
On a lucas pump, I was making 129bhp with these settings - now I'm on a bosch and I'm making a whole lot more!

JP

Adi2727
26-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info!

I want to change the clutch (with a performance one, if i'll find one) and the timing belt, before any tuning.
After that, I'll try to get performance as much as possible but not deal with too much smoke.

Maybe, in about 1 month and 1/2, I'll come with some results.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings!
Adi

max_tait306
28-08-2010, 08:31 PM
jammapic- hi mate when you had the old lucas and you made 129bhp do you remember what psi is was making?
mines currently on 21psi in 4th at 4300rpm, wondering whether it would be close to your power figures :) cheers.

jammapic
28-08-2010, 08:35 PM
20psi with no smoke

max_tait306
28-08-2010, 08:41 PM
so am i right in think the more psi the more power?
im going to trax and might try and get her on the rolling road and see what happens.
are you gunna be going to trax?

barrym
28-08-2010, 09:24 PM
as well as boost you need the right amount of fuel too. Too much or too little will lose power.

max_tait306
29-08-2010, 07:47 AM
as well as boost you need the right amount of fuel too. Too much or too little will lose power.

the max fuel screws been turned just over half a turn now i think, should be enough i think

jammapic
29-08-2010, 08:28 AM
On my lucas, I had the pump turned all the way to maximum (the screw wouldn't turn any more) and the boost compensator set to the absolute minimum, with a stiffer spring inside to give more adjustment. I also had the K03 turbo setup for 20psi.

I had a straight through exhaust and K&N panel filter (though that probably made little difference).

That gave 129.4bhp at the flywheel.

JP

max_tait306
05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
just got mine dyno'd at 143 hp (at wheel) and 225 torques :)
i think thats works out about 119bhp

jammapic
05-09-2010, 07:14 PM
143 at the wheel would be about 170 at the flywheel...

JP

max_tait306
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
sorry my bad i meant 143hp at the fly
its all standard apart from the tune up
i'm very happy with the torque figs

jammapic
05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Was that on a lucas or bosch pump?

max_tait306
05-09-2010, 07:48 PM
just a lucas pump
it was done by dyno dynamics at trax

damageandy
24-09-2010, 09:00 PM
this also works great on the ford td pumps. my p100 is currently turned about 80 degress and off boost screw nearly all the way in running 20psi, running a decent front mount, no excessive smoke.

tdcist
24-09-2010, 09:03 PM
So this would also work on things like the escort van etc??

damageandy
24-09-2010, 09:10 PM
well im running a 98 mondeo engine in mine, pump on my old 2000 escort could be changed the same, and the original 89 td engine in the p100 was also the same pump. Nearly all of the ford td's have run the lucas pump for over a decade(which changed very little over that time). Give it a try easy to change back.

levis
27-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi all :-)

I am a big fan of XUD9TE Engine :-)

Unfortunately I had a serious fail in my old engine on bosch pump, and now I have a new engine with Lucas pump.

It is extremaly economical, but there is a realy big lack of power, comparing to my bosch pump.

I have few questions.

As you probably have seen, in bosch pump, compansator didn't work just about to turning screw up or down. There was inside a asimetrical PIN, which in different position have a decent power upgrade.

Here you are saying only about turning back a LDA align screw, what about a pin - is it inside, is it simillar or the setting here is just up and down, that's it ?

Second question,

What about screw which is in the same place as in bosch pump. There it was an max fuel setting, what role does it have here ?

Can you write again this thing with spring and some distance you've used ? I can't really catch it.

I have to change spring for longer and harder one, and turn out boost compensator as far as I can ?

The reason I am asking so much questions on boost compensator, that here it has a totaly different ...

In bosch pump - if you screw in align screw it will increase amount of fuel. And more boost is going , spring is going down, and MORE FUEL is delivered. That why it is called boost compensator, it delivers more fuel when more boost spotted.

Here what you are saying, that this "boost compensator" works in a totaly different way. when there is no pressure from spring or boost, extra fuel is delivered - am I right here ?

Please help be , because I am really confused.

Thanks

Adi2727
19-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Hello!

Does anyone tried to combine this tuning with bigger injectors?
Does it make a difference?
Worth to do this on Lucas?

lh_4827
27-12-2010, 05:57 PM
i have a lucas pump and used your guide JP to tune her up and resulted in 20psi of pressure, no smoke, but a mere 99bhp at the wheels. any suggestions?

tmagnet
27-12-2010, 06:29 PM
i have a lucas pump and used your guide JP to tune her up and resulted in 20psi of pressure, no smoke, but a mere 99bhp at the wheels. any suggestions?
What was the power at the flywheel?
I'm no expert but it's 90bhp at the fly as standard so with transmission losses it's probably closer to 70bhp- you've gained 29bhp which doesn't sound too bad to me for a few hours with the spanners?
What sort of power were you expecting?

lh_4827
27-12-2010, 06:45 PM
y'see i wasnt sure whether the original 92bhp was at the wheels or the fly.. i supposed it was at the fly, but after a non-tuned xud was put on the rollers and got 90bhp at the wheels it got me questioning. i never got a figure from the fly as it wasn't allowed to run down

tmagnet
27-12-2010, 06:48 PM
How do they compare on the road?

lh_4827
27-12-2010, 06:58 PM
never went head to head with it before it was tuned if i'm honest.. and i think i drove mine for a week before fettling with the fuelling. they both went on the rollers within 10 minutes of each other.

after it was tuned it was making 100.1 so i don't know. it might have been tuned previously and we just didnt know

i could have cried when mine didnt make a ton

barrym
27-12-2010, 07:14 PM
As tmagnet says 99 at the wheels is the about 120 at the flywheel, so about 30bhp up on stock.

Not bad for a couple of spanners and an allen key!

lh_4827
27-12-2010, 07:50 PM
knowing that, i feel much better about it then.. spend more time cleaning the drive after i got a bollocking off the in-laws lol

might try a tad more if i get the chance any time soon..

popeye
28-12-2010, 02:21 AM
ive turned up my T2 alot and the boost guage is reading 18psi. ive checked all pipes for boost leaks and there are none so thats a good thing so im assuming the boost pressure is being controled by fueling. i get zero smoke on boost and only a whisp off boost but thats with the boost comp all the way in. so if i go to b n q tomorrow armed with my allen key and remove the spring, go in and get a stiffer one, fit that then whack the max fuel up another 90 degrees, should i see more power or do you think it will smoke like hell?

lh_4827
28-12-2010, 06:15 PM
If it smokes like hell, turn it back, or get a stronger spring..

popeye
29-12-2010, 04:24 PM
im going to have a looksie tomorrow now because ive just got a pipe to decat the car :)

BONNARSKI
22-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I've been trying to find out if there is a govenour mod that can be done to the Lucas pump like the Bosch VE, anybody heard or done one or have any other mods for more power?

I know for more power go Bosch but why is it every XUD9 i've seen with a Bosch pump is pissing oil out of every seal in the engine? I thought something to do with the higher presure the pump and injectors run at making more heat?

Just a thought lol

GP123
30-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Has anyone got more information on putting a stiffer/longer spring into the Boost compensator? Pictures etc?

Thanks.

jammapic
06-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi,

If you take the spring out if will give you an idea of what you are looking for... just one about .5cm longer.

JP

chrisab
14-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi,

Had a go at this over the weekend. I turned the max fuel up what I thought was getting on for 90deg (but didn't have room for a clean sweep so not exactly sure!) and the compensator in all way and out 2turns.

It doesn't smoke at all and pulls alot better from 3-4k (power doesn't seem to drop off as it was before) Which is nice.

However I only get about 15.5psi when absolutely kaining it - it used to go to ~14/14.5psi pre tune.

I turned the compensator out one more turn and that seemed to produce some smoke on full throttle but boost still restricted to 15.5 - although I thought i'd read here it makes no difference to the max fuel so not sure why it smoked?

Question is whether to up the fuel some more or play with the turbo to get to 18psi?

cheers - wish I'd done this 4 years ago!

jammapic
14-02-2011, 04:19 PM
The turbo alone won't make you more power - and if it's not smoking then I wouldn't bother...

As for the compensator, keep it right in - if you wind it out at all, it will smoke.

JP

GP123
15-02-2011, 08:24 PM
So whos been playing about with this then?

Whos at a Quarter turn on the pump and Half a turn etc?

And what settings are you finding the best for Performance.....Discuss..

jammapic
15-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Me and my mate Stu have been playing on his lucas over the last few weeks - and we found that it is possile to go too far with the max fuel... we found, when running on the dyno that too much bogged it out, and the turbo struggled to spool.

We found a full turn of the max fuel, and boost comp wound right in, gave 120hp and 190lb/ft.

JP

GP123
15-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Me and my mate Stu have been playing on his lucas over the last few weeks - and we found that it is possile to go too far with the max fuel... we found, when running on the dyno that too much bogged it out, and the turbo struggled to spool.

We found a full turn of the max fuel, and boost comp wound right in, gave 120hp and 190lb/ft.

JP

half a turn is sore enough on desiel mate. is that 120 at the wheels or what?

jammapic
15-02-2011, 08:45 PM
120 at the flywheel. Any more than that resulted in lots of smoke and no more power, boost was 22psi.

JP

GP123
15-02-2011, 11:13 PM
120 at the flywheel. Any more than that resulted in lots of smoke and no more power, boost was 22psi.

JP

what would you do for the next stage, if you want her faster.

FMIC & Hybrid Turbo ? what gains would you expect from these 2 changes.

chrisab
17-02-2011, 10:17 AM
The turbo alone won't make you more power - and if it's not smoking then I wouldn't bother...

As for the compensator, keep it right in - if you wind it out at all, it will smoke.

JP

Thanks JP,

As i'm only getting 15.5psi with no/little smoke I should be able to up the fuel a bit more shouldn't I. If it then smokes and only boosting 15.5psi I can alter the turbo to get me to 18psi and hopefully no smoke & higher power than before?

cheers

jammapic
17-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Correct - but what you might find is that when you up the fuel some more, it gives more boost too....

chrisab
20-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Correct - but what you might find is that when you up the fuel some more, it gives more boost too....

I increased the fuelling another 45deg ish and found a fair amount of 'smoke trail' on boost and still 15psi. i then turned the compensator in 1 turn (so only 1turn out from all the way in) and it felt a little sluggish and only boosted to 13ish psi - so turned it out another 1 turn (where you say to set it in the guide). I don't quite understand why reducing the boost compensator meant less boost considering it still seemed to be smoking.

I've just altered the wastegate arm (what an arse that is under axle stands!) and am now boosting 18psi on max load. When you say 'no smoke' how do you determine that? Did you have someone following? I'll plant my foot when I've got someone behind me at night and see if its putting much smoke out although in the daylight it doesn't seem like it is.

Is 18psi ok with the lucas pump and external wastegate (non kkk?)? I don't drive it hard anyway so will only be used when needed.

Cheers

jammapic
20-02-2011, 02:41 PM
It should be fine.

Best way to determine smoke is get someone following you in the daylight.

On a night, it will ALWAYS look like it's smoking. Even when I'm driving pet**l cars, I can see a haze in the lights of the car behind.

JP

chrisab
20-02-2011, 03:26 PM
ok cheers. For anyone else reading i halved the amount of thread i could see on the wastegate arm and that increased boost from 14.5 - 18 obviously with increasing fuel as well.

GP123
09-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I found that screwing the boost compensator in too much and then taking it for a spin, it wouldnt boost as much, went from 1.5 bar to 1.2 bar and was sluggish as frig. Then then screwed it out half a turn and it boosted the 1.5 bar again, theres not much in it so just watch. I found that for best performance and boosting properly there had to be a bit of smoke presence.

pugway2011
09-03-2011, 02:09 PM
hi there people im new on here and i was just wounderin if there any 1 on here that cld help me with tunning my pug 1.9 dturbo at all and also to lower my bk end if some no any 1 huh i cld go to or come to me wld b great cheers :)

craigmn
16-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm new on here, stumbled across this thread from google, read it - and signed up to the forum! Very informative, I like it. Well done to jammapic and all those who've added the useful info!

I bought my pug 306 D-Turbo about 2 months ago following the sale of my old beloved 205Diesel runaround. The bonnet of the 306 had had a spray can taken to it (the same colour) just a previous owners' attempt to neaten things up I guess, but it looked aweful. So, I made plans to get the front end resprayed. Whilst looking at the TMIC and the bonnets' insulation, I thought I'd improve the cooling a little by fitting a bonnet scoop. (Wandering around a scrappy one day a few years back I took a scoop off an impreza [well, it wasn't going to need it anymore] and just kept it in the shed, an impulse buy I think lol) anyway, I fitted that with the future intention of upping the boost and fuel pressures a little. It goes well as it is and returns me good mpg, but I'd like that extra bit of oomff to help overtake that little bit easier.

Just got 2 questions for anyone who may know:

Years back, I fitted a dawes device (amongst other things) to a celica GTfour, I've got another one sat here and wondering if I can fit that to the 306? Saves meddling with the actuator arm I guess. When using these I can remember seeing boost spikes though... Not entirely certain of this route as yet. For those that aren't sure what a dawes device (or, relief valve) is, it's simply plumbed inbetween the turbo's compressor outlet to the actuator, the air pressure has to be at a certain level high enough to breach the sealed spring tension inside the device to which then allows the air signal to reach the actuator diaphragm, opening the wastegate. The bolt on the device can simply be screwed in or out to set your desired boost pressure.

Also, is there some sort of dump vale/recirc valve fitted to the turbo on these engines somewhere?

I would post a pic of the car but the pic's on my i-phone and I don't know how to get it off and on to the PC :-(
(sorry, i'm useless with computers...)
Thanks in advance!

jammapic
16-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I've literally just taken a Dawes device off mine, worked great - but as you say, a bit of a spike... it works fine tho!

Get some more fuel dialled in and I bet it'll go well :)

craigmn
17-03-2011, 10:07 AM
I've literally just taken a Dawes device off mine, worked great - but as you say, a bit of a spike... it works fine tho!

Get some more fuel dialled in and I bet it'll go well :)

hiya, yeah i'll fit the dawes device and see. why did you remove the dawes then?

jammapic
17-03-2011, 11:14 PM
because I fitted a HKS electronic boost controller.

craigmn
18-03-2011, 06:38 PM
hks, KER - CHING! nice one. i've got an apexi on my skyline. so did you have to use the boost solenoid? i had a look under my 306 today before i started fettling, it has a KKK T/C (with the internal wastegate set up), i had ambitions of fitting the dawes device but couldn't find the flexi pipe running from the compressor side - there ain't much room under there :( so i had to use the 2.5mm allen key route instead.

this is what i did:

boost compensator wound all the way in, then out 1/2 turn (but now it's back all the way in to hopefully reduce the smokey joe look)

max fuel - cranked all the way in (i think) the allen key popped out. i gave it 1 complete turn inwards anyway. i might have to back it off a little i think, or increase the boost pressure some more.

boost pressure - upped it from 12psi to almost 19psi (1.3bar). it's a KKK blower, for those with this particular TC the adjuster was approx 20mm out from the 8mm lock nut at 12psi (standard), now it's protruding approx 4mm out from the lock nut.

performance has increased substantially (very pleasing), but there seems to be a flat spot from 3200rpm then picks up again a little later on in the revs. it's smokey, especially when you give it the beans, then it clears a little. i've now wound the compensator all the way in and locked it off. i think i'll have to either increase the boost a little more to 1.35bar (almost 20psi) to help use the unburnt fuel or reduce the fuelling a little.

happypaul
21-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Some good reading in this thread, think I'll be using this guide to do my Ford Escort lucas pump :)

Shame its a pain in the arse to get to on the escort, gonna be a rad out job unless I become double jointed!

craigmn
21-03-2011, 04:33 PM
having an extra elbow in ya forearm sure does come in handy for those awkard jobs lol... i often think the same thing.

bit more news from my car - the boost had been set to 20psi to what we think "matches the fuelling", yet today the boost is now a bit more spontaneous. it would only boost to 1.2bar earlier, then up 1.3 and down to 1bar??? wondering if my cone air filter is up to the job as i've since blocked up the crankcase breather port on the inlet manifold.

pugway2011
22-03-2011, 02:57 PM
can any 1 help me in tunning up me pug at all just want it quicker then normal iv got a kkk n lucus pump eva info or help will b great cheers

happypaul
22-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Read page one mate

pugway2011
22-03-2011, 07:50 PM
yea read it n tbh it looks hard lol noin me ill mess it up erm wt wld b best to have as im finkin to change to a bosh set up wid ither gt25 or hybrid turbo wt wld b best and is there any one huh can lower my car at all :)

happypaul
22-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Adjusting the pump and boost is easy. And the guide shows everything!! :-)

craigmn
23-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Yep, it may sound daunting but it's easy peasy and doesn't take long at all. The gains I've had from doing mine is very satisfying. I've written all about it in the owners section. First off, if u haven't already got one, get yourself a boost gauge!
Happy tweaking!

happypaul
23-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Just come back in from tweaking thwe Lucas pump on my Ford Escort.

Did exactly as described in this thread, but only gave it around 60 degrees on the max screw!

It bloody shifts now, compared to its old slow typical ford diesel engine lol

Think its smoking too much preboost so will turn that down and prob turn the max screw up a tad more to see how it reacts :D

craigmn
24-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I may take my max screw down a tad (I took it around a full turn with the boost compensator wound all the way in). When I drive it with those settings the boost is quite sporadic and never really the same. So I cracked open the compensator about 10degrees, it smoked like a bugger so I put it back. I think the next move for me is to reduce the max fuel a bit and fit a stronger spring in the compensator and try that...

wkddeano
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
great guide to follow done this to my 306 and the difference is amazing would recommend this guide well done JP \:D/

leeboi
25-04-2011, 10:28 AM
if its not smoking off boost anyway, whydecrease the boost comp screw?

happypaul
25-04-2011, 10:53 AM
because when you up the other screw high enough you'll probably smoke off boost

leeboi
25-04-2011, 06:31 PM
followed the guide, was fairly straight forward

boost comp screw wound fully in then two turns out and max fuel screw 60 degrees to start with, all back together then went out for a road test and felt slower than it did standard.
dint see any smoke tho so i then wound max fuel screw to about 90 degrees clockwise, again assembled and another road test. it did then feel better still not a lot of smoke tho also to note during the day was quite a warm day so...
guna leave it at that for now until ive done a lil more research into it,

also to note, my car sounds loads different now? is this usual?

jammapic
25-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Yep, they normally sound totally different... give the max fuel another 60* or so... that'll make a diff :-)

leeboi
25-04-2011, 06:46 PM
goin round nearly for 180 degree's then in total :o ?

sure it says 90 at the begining :lol:

but like i said, there isnt much smoke so ..

jammapic
25-04-2011, 06:49 PM
.... they are all different mate!

leeboi
25-04-2011, 06:54 PM
true,

and as for eccomony. will it still be good on fuel if i keep off boost?

jammapic
25-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Yep, should remain unchanged unless you hit the go faster pedal.

leeboi
25-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Sound, well Im pleased to say I've just manned up and had another qwuik fettle, in total now the screw must be about 160 oUt and Im actually rather pleased with the results!!

Cheers!! Might try an dial it in some more tomorow x

craigmn
06-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Jammapic, where did u buy the stronger spring from for the compensator? I've been searching for one for ages but no joy :-(
Cheers mate

jammapic
06-05-2011, 08:03 AM
B&Q.

craigmn
06-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah I tried there but no joy... Did it come in a selection box with an array of springs?

jammapic
06-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I just bought it from the plumbing section - it was in a pack of springs that were about the same width just a bit wider!

craigmn
06-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Hokey dokey, I'll have a look tomoz! Thanks.
At the mo I've put a small spacer inside the little cup under the spring, so the spring is a little more compressed giving a slightly higher force on the diaphragm, seems to be a little less smokey now anyway. Reckon it needs that harder spring though and I'll have my higher boost back. I found a split hose, the one I fitted from the tmic to the t-piece for the boost gauge And the fuel pump, so that's good now. There's no leaks at all anywhere... Everythings nice n tight.

cbray
25-05-2011, 06:24 PM
realy great post jammapic. Its nice to see someone with a crazy amount of knowledge:)
i myself have always used a bosch pump as it came on the car when i bought it:)
do you have any tuning guides for the mighty bosch mate???
thanx

cbray
25-05-2011, 06:25 PM
realy great post jammapic. Its nice to see someone with a crazy amount of knowledge:)
i myself have always used a bosch pump as it came on the car when i bought it:)
do you have any tuning guides for the mighty bosch mate???
thanx

paulspeedysims
02-06-2011, 07:28 PM
great piece mate! just come back to the turbo diesel world with a 306.

got a couple questions for the people who have tried this.

what kind of fuel eeconomy are you returning after the adjustments?

has anyone suffered any reliability problems?

i'm itching to do but got these little doubts, many thanks

jammapic
02-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I found I got very similar mpg, unless I stuck my foot in :-P

Reliability wise, it should be fine... :-)

JP

paulspeedysims
02-06-2011, 07:41 PM
cool, thats the same problem i get with my right foot!

i joined last year when i had a diesel megane, no one could give any tips like this. i'm glad i checked back in after gettin the 306!

Adi2727
05-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Hello

Great job. This topic is getting bigger and bigger. =D>
I would like to control the maximum rpm and i don't know from were to start.
Noticed that on the first, second and third gear the rpm goes further on the red zone, something like:
1-st gear - ~5200-5400rpm;
2-nd gear - ~5000-5200rpm;
3-rd gear - ~4700-4900rpm;
4-th gear - ~4500-4700rpm;
My question is: Can i control the rpm, to have something like 4700-5000rpm on all gears (this might require a rpm limiter somewhere)?
Will it be a good idea to start with increasing fuel delivery?

Tnx.

happypaul
06-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Loving these mods on my ford escort td, just need to sort out the pre-boost abit more with a better spring :)

Going flat out, I take it a nice little haze of grey smoke is a good thing??

jammapic
06-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Yep grey haze is perfect...

happypaul
06-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Excellent :D

curtis1
16-06-2011, 10:07 AM
JP.. what work is involved in swapping the lucas to the bosch pump? who done yours?

i have just had hybrid turbo fitted, you can here it spool up well but it isnt really any quicker. my mate used to have a dturbo with the just the turbo and lucas pump mods and it is alot faster than mine with the pump mods and the hybrid, any tips? :-D

fozzygt
17-06-2011, 09:26 PM
does anyone have any info on tuning the bosch pumps

dexterford
02-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Yep grey haze is perfect...
I have a ford engine 1.8td which has the lucas pump and a front mount intercooler. I had adjusted the wastegate and turned up the max fuel a bit. now the boost can't go above 17 psi. I have smoke only when I am off boost. Should I increase more fuel to make atleast 20 psi. Is it bad for the engine to give it that much.

Thanks

brayson
13-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Give my dturbo a tune the other night just the fueling, went probs close to about a full turn of the screw, compensator 2 turns out from full in, and my god it does shift now, turbos at 1.1 bar (16 psi) gonna do probs 1 to 2 turns of the turbo to help move the smoke, just have a paranoia of thinking the car will blow but its not a dhy why lump i keep telling myself :P

martyberlingo
04-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Just bought my younger brothers xtdt 306 and he has done the lucas pump tune, seems to go alright, boosts to 18psi, took the induction kit off as I don't like them and it has less lag now, when giving it the beans it does send a puff of smoke when the boost cuts in, is this normal or should I back off the max fueling screw? doesn't constantly smoke just puffs on initial boost?

Cheers

Spellspt
18-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Hello

Great job. This topic is getting bigger and bigger. =D>
I would like to control the maximum rpm and i don't know from were to start.
Noticed that on the first, second and third gear the rpm goes further on the red zone, something like:
1-st gear - ~5200-5400rpm;
2-nd gear - ~5000-5200rpm;
3-rd gear - ~4700-4900rpm;
4-th gear - ~4500-4700rpm;
My question is: Can i control the rpm, to have something like 4700-5000rpm on all gears (this might require a rpm limiter somewhere)?
Will it be a good idea to start with increasing fuel delivery?

Tnx.

You ever get an Answer to this?
I think its a screw located on the back of the pump, but I'm just guessing, I ALSO want to know... anyone?

jammapic
18-01-2012, 01:05 PM
The easiest way is to adjust the maximum throttle arm movement... It's at the top on the front of the pump. Just wind it out, and then adjust the cable accordingly.

Spellspt
18-01-2012, 03:38 PM
quick question than: Whats the Screw setting on the back of the Lucas?, cause I maybe know someone that messed with theirs.

jammapic
18-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Normally where the throttle arm resets in it's idle position... effectively changing how high or low the idle speed sits.

Adi2727
18-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Hello
I noticed that a sort of an electrical on/off tuning can be achieved from my Lucas pump... maybe not as much like a mechanical tuning but i would say, something like about +10% just by manual electric feed on the cold start delivery valve (idle valve) or by switching the vacuum pipes in order to have a permanent rich fuel mode.
Maybe, this combined with with an electrical manipulation of the cold start electromagnetic advance will bring a sort of 15% power gain??? ...And those two devices: rich fuel mode valve and the electromagnetic advance valve, connected to a on/off switch/button... ?
Did anyone tried this?

murray988
21-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi there old thread I know but new here,

I have just done this to my 306 d turbo and i have broken the plastic cap the was stated to be gental with :) dose any one know were to get these from other than a scrap yard? Any help would be great because my car wont start because its drawing in air, i have had it running but wont start again after i leave it for 5mins. When it was running diesel was coming out of the cap

jammapic
22-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Scrap yard or eBay is the best bet... also, you might want to look at getting the Ford Escort version which is metal...

murray988
22-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Will have to go on tuesday and try and get one will defo look for the metal on though,
But in the mean time ptfe tape is doing the job just now but its still leaking thou so defo calls for a new one
Thank you for the reply

P.s
What a difference in power major difference in power to what it was. Great step by step guide

Ecky
24-01-2012, 01:27 AM
I have a recently acquired 1.8 tddi escort finesse with the intercooled endura-de motor which I'm thinking of doing the fuelling increase/turbo boost thing on, came across this site when someone called TCDist pm'd me on another forum to let me know I could probably find answers to similar questions I'd asked there on this forum (this one does seem to have more going on)

Only just got round to visiting and found this (what seems to be a pretty excellent) guide, there is one bit of info I'd like to know before I give it a go though, maybe someone here can help me with that

Does anyone know the safe maximum boost level you can use on these engines?

I don't wanna actually boost it to the max but knowing it would be a definite help in deciding how far to wind it up

jammapic
24-01-2012, 10:31 AM
around 20psi....

Ecky
24-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for that mate

So I'm thinking if I set things so it goes up to around 18 at the most I should be well within safe limits yeah?

jammapic
24-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Even 20 is pretty modest tbh....

Ecky
25-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Well mate I bought this one cos my sister borrowed he gti estate I had while moving house and blew the head gasket, coolant pipe split she saw it was running hot so went'n filled up with cold water then started tankin it back up the m4 ... cold water and a red-hot engine don't seem to be a good mix lol

Seeing as how I already got one to fix I figure it's wise to play it a little safe for now at least with this one

Again, thanks for the info

matdturbo
15-02-2012, 07:21 PM
hi there have a d turbo lucas pump have boost scerwed out wats the standed setting thanks

bogs
01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi all just quick question on pump Allen key screw when turning clock wise should it be hard to adjust all the time as I will be going as far as it will go 2mrw but I'm quite heavy handed I only ask as I turned it about 90 degrees today and it's bloody tight I don't want to snap Allen key in there. Any help will be great thank u

jammapic
01-04-2012, 07:46 PM
They are always tight, but it is possible to come up on the stopper where it won't move any more....

WiNgNuTz
05-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Quality guide JP, did this yesterday, making just shy of 17psi on the boost gauge now, smoking a little, might just need to turn the boost compensator down a touch though. Nice increase in power too. :D

jonoG
25-09-2012, 08:24 PM
excellent guide mate I will certainly be giving that a try some time soon!

just a quick question, any ideas on gains in power on a standard 90bhp 306? are we talking 10 or 20hp?

jammapic
26-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Well on a totally stock 1.9 xud with Lucas and k03 turbo, I made 119.4hp, so gained nearly 30bhp.

JP

jonoG
26-09-2012, 06:30 PM
That's an impressive gain, definately worth doing then

bigscoobydan
28-10-2012, 11:01 PM
will be trying this at the weekend

moizeau
29-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Very interesting post, spanning a long time!
Just wondering if the tune works for the xud7te engine aswell?
Got to repair the membrane first though, fuel in the plenum chamber. blocked the tube off to preserve the engine for the moment. Is it easy to change this membrane?
Cheers

stefsellie
11-11-2012, 04:13 PM
hi ime new on here i have a 306 d turbo with the lucas pump and ive started following this guide but ive lost the black rubber screw that u take out ov the pump. i just wondered if anybody new were i cud order one from as my local scrapyard has none in .any help is appriciated cheers stef

bigscoobydan
17-11-2012, 11:21 AM
just adjusted fueling as per guide , took a few minutes to do will see what its like on my way home

GAD Tuning LTD
29-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Great Guide, Will post a link on our Blog if you don't mind ?.