Page 8 of 8 First ... 678
    Banter Klaus

Re: A good reason to shut off your EGR

The wifes 1.6hdi'd Picasso is fully blanked and doesnt show any fault, so what youre saying is wrong.
    Why would the mileage matter? Surely you mean depending when the car was made?

This is getting hard work
    on some EGR valves a full blank will put the MIL light on, therefore you would use one with a hole. So, as already said, not as good as a full blank, but still effective at reducing the crud going through

Banter Klaus

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GWJ
    This is getting hard work
    on some EGR valves a full blank will put the MIL light on, therefore you would use one with a hole. So, as already said, not as good as a full blank, but still effective at reducing the crud going through
    That's better.

What about mileage? Does mileage actually need to mentioned?

So, What is the conclusion? Shut off egr because ... or don't?, If it increase horespower without any other disadvantages i would say, Sure shut if off.

The main purpose for blanking/removing the egr is because it currently recirculates exhaust gas back into the engine. The problem here is that it leaves a thick black film inside all of your pipes and is effectively choking your engine.

If you blank or remove your egr then all that's going into your engine is air and fuel, no exhaust gases, so the engine can breathe easier and also run better and smoother.

I have a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer with a VW 2.0 engine, I originally blanked the feed to the egr and found as others have, the engine ran much more smoothly and I had a slight improvement on mpg.
    I've since had the car mapped and had the egr mapped out. My next step is to remove my egr cooler as it is now surplus to requirements.
    For those unsure, the egr cooler cools the hot exhaust gases down before entering the egr valve and then the engine.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickjm
    The main purpose for blanking/removing the egr is because it currently recirculates exhaust gas back into the engine. The problem here is that it leaves a thick black film inside all of your pipes and is effectively choking your engine.

If you blank or remove your egr then all that's going into your engine is air and fuel, no exhaust gases, so the engine can breathe easier and also run better and smoother.

I have a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer with a VW 2.0 engine, I originally blanked the feed to the egr and found as others have, the engine ran much more smoothly and I had a slight improvement on mpg.
    I've since had the car mapped and had the egr mapped out. My next step is to remove my egr cooler as it is now surplus to requirements.
    For those unsure, the egr cooler cools the hot exhaust gases down before entering the egr valve and then the engine.

Very good info. Thanks. Need to say that it is hard to get the blanking plate into place .

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mattieboy
    Very good info. Thanks. Need to say that it is hard to get the blanking plate into place .
    That depends on your car. Mine is at the front of my engine accessible as soon as I remove my engine cover.

got rid of mine completely. lucky enough my dci is one of the first dci 80's so unplugging the EGR doesnt fault code. later ones did.

so ive had a pipe made to sit inplace of the egr and then had the exhaust manifold welded up.

mapped and the mapper has now took out the full function from the map.
    Destructive limits.... meh its more like Diesel power